Ginger thokku/Inji thokku with curry leaves
Ginger thokku a aromatic picklish wonder with earthy strong and penetrating flavour.The intensive tanginess! sharpness! are from the tamarind and ginger mainly!!and the tamarind helps for a longer shelf life of this thokku.This ginger thokku has a additional ingredient that is curry leaves which mingles with ginger and becomes another main ingredient for this wonderful dish.Iam totally addictive to the intense aroma of ginger!!!and as you all know ginger is a common ingredient in Indian day today cooking and of-course around the world .It is a curative spice for indigestion and other inter-related bowl problems as well.Good amount of jaggery added balances the dish .Gingelly oil suits better for this than any other oil.Now lets see how to do proceed for ginger thokku..
Ginger thokku/inji thokku with curryleaves
Ginger – 50 gm(scrape and cut),mustard seeds – 1tsp
Cumin – 1 tbsp
Pepper – 1 tbsp
dry red chilli – 1-2
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – one big handful
salt to taste
Jaggery -11/2 tbsp
Gingelly oil – 1/4 cup
Tamarind – 1 big lemon size(Soak,squeeze and extract)
1.Scrape and cut the ginger.
2.keep ready with all the ingredients,soak tamarind before hand and take thick extract and keep ready.
3.Separately fry ginger in little oil.
4.Put cumin and pepper in same little oil and fry till nice aroma starts.
5.Now add curry leaves and chillies ,saute and switch off.
6.Then Grind the ingredients (sauteed things including ginger) by adding the tamarind water to a paste.
7.Now heat a kadai with remaining oil and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add coriander powder,turmeric powder, jaggery and the the mixture .when it is boiling add salt.
8.When the oil spills out at the corner switch off the stove and cool.
9.Store in suitable containers.
ginger thokku/inji thokku with curry leaves/marudhuskitchen
- Ginger - 50 gm scrape and cut
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Cumin - 1 tbsp
- Pepper - 1 tbsp
- dry red chilli - 1-2
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - one big handful
- salt to taste
- Jaggery -11/2 tbsp
- Gingelly oil - 1/4 cup
- Tamarind - 1 big lemon size Soak,squeeze and extract
- Scrape and cut the ginger.
- keep ready all the ingredients ready,soak tamarind before hand and take thick extract and keep ready.
- Separately fry ginger in little oil.
- Put cumin and pepper in same little oil and fry till nice aroma starts.
- Now add curry leaves and chillies ,saute and switch off.
- Then Grind the ingredients (sauteed things including ginger)by adding the tamarind water to a paste.
- Now heat a kadai with remaining oil and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add coriander powder,turmeric powder,jaggery and then the mixture .when it is boiling add salt.
- When the oil spills out at the corner switch off the stove and cool.
- Store in suitable containers.
Its keeps well outside for more than five days and if you are not satisfied keep it in fringe for longer shelf life.
When handling the thokku always use a dry spoon.
The water used for tamarind extract is itself enough for grinding and there is no need for water at any stage.