millet recipe/(kuthiraivalli,thinai and samai adai)/millets adai
Today’s modern food culture make us to realize the importance of Millet’s.Health conscious people are becoming more and more focused on this gluten-free stuff . It should be incorporated in our daily food preparations in various forms as possible . kuthiraivalli , Samai and Thinai are main characters of this special millet recipe.
I really don’t know why such an awesome millet family loosed its sheen in this modern world in-spite of its great taste and nutty flavor . Now we have realized its importance to some extent and should gain popularity to its top as soon as possible . I will introduce you with some Tamil-English names for millet’s that I know . Kuthiravaali is called Barnyard Millet , Thinai is called Fox-tail Millet , Varagu is called Kodo Millet and Samai is called Little Millet . These millet recipe tastes same as rice and is more flexible to make variety of both sweet and main dishes.Nowadays most of big markets have these millet’s so its availability is in open ground for our disposal.I have tried a slightly different dish by combining three millet’s to make this adai and it has turned out very well.The best combination for this is a piece of jaggery and butter served with hot adai.
millet recipe/(kuthiravalli,thinai and samai adai)/millets adai
- kuthiraivalli Barnyard Millet - 1/2 cup
- Samaiarisi Little Millet - 1/2 cup
- Thinaiarisi Foxtail Millet -1/2 cup
- Masoor dhal - 1/2 cup
- Pasiparruppu green gram skinless - 1/2 - 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- red chillies - 7-8
- Asafoetida a little
- Some coriander and curry leaves
- keep some curry leaves to mix with batter and for grinding
- Big onion - 1 cup chopped
- Grated coconut
- for mixing with the batter - 2 tbsp
- Ani seeds sombu - 1tsp
- Jeera seeragam - 1tsp
- Put together millet's and dhall to be soaked.
- Soak the ingredients with chillies for 3 hours and grind it along with all the ingredients.
- Grind it coarse.
- Then mix grated coconut and curry leaves.
- Make thick adai's.
The dhal,millet should be soaked for at-least 2-3 hours for softness.