how to make easy snack /Nei kadalai(chatpata chana dal)
Though simple it is a very dominant snack!it has a combination of tangy,spicy and crispy avatars imbibed within itself giving a real satiety of having a snack food!its named chatpata chana dal in Northern India and down South it’s called Nei kadalai.Adding fried curry leaves becomes so important and even sometimes crushed-fried garlic is added which gives a wonderful flavour to this snack!I have not added garlic but you can add it.A small clarification for those who have a doubt if both chick pea and chana dal are same,yes of-course there is a slight difference is that when chick peas are removed with their outer skin layer and split we get chana dal.Using chana dal only we make besan or gram/chana dal flour.Here for my nei kadalai my family demanded it to be spicy so did the same for them!please feel free to reduce the amount of spices which will be comfortable for your family.It is mandatory that you soak chana dal with baking soda for at-least 6-8 hours minimum and should completely dry them out spreading in a cotton towel.Then while frying keep the flame at medium high and not at sim so that you will get nice crunchy and crispy nei kadalai/chatpata chana dal.
how to make easy snack /Nei kadalai
Chana dal/kadalai paruppu/split chick peas – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Chilli powder – 11/2tbsp
Chat masala – 11/4 tbsp
Asafoetida/hing – 2-3 tsp
Turmeric powder – 11/2 tsp
Some curry leaves
Baking soda -1/2 tsp
Oil to fry
1.Soak chana dal at-least for 6 hours or over night adding baking soda to it.
2.Then drain all the liquid and spread on a cotton cloth and should become completely dry.
3.Then keep ready with a mix of chilli,turmeric,hing,chat masala powders and salt.
4.Now heat up a kadai with oil when hot enough bring down the flame to medium high.
5.Fry in batches till the “shh”sound subsides take out in a tissue then mix up with spice powders when it is still hot so that all masalas sticks to it.
6.Finally fry some curry leaves and add to it.
7.When cool store in airtight container.
how to make easy snack/Nei kadalai(chatpata chana dal)
- Chana dal/kadalai paruppu/split chick peas - 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder - 11/2tbsp
- Chat masala - 11/4 tbsp
- Asafoetida/hing - 2-3 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 11/2 tsp
- Some curry leaves
- Baking soda -1/2 tsp
- Oil to fry
- Soak chana dal atleast for 6 hours or over night adding baking soda to it.
- Then drain all the liquid and spread on a cotton cloth and should become completely dry.
- Then keep ready with a mix of chilli,turmeric,hing,chat masala powders and salt.
- Now heat up a kadai with oil when hot enough bring down the flame to medium high.
- Fry in batches till the "shh"sound subsides take out in a tissue then mix up with spice powders when it is still hot so that all masalas sticks to it.
- Finally fry some curry leaves and add to it.
- When cool store in airtight container.
Adding chat masala gives chatpata taste and its optional.
According to taste you can adjust the amount of spice added.
The spices should be added and mixed for each batch when it is still hot.
Curry leaves gives a real kick to this fry.
Even garlic can be fried and added to it.