homemade idli podi with whole black uraddal(karuppu ulundhu)
A small hint of any spicy idli podi will always be a pleasing combination for idli or dosa than any other. This time I have tried the homemade idli podi with whole black urad dal or karuppu ulundhu and it really turned out super good. Using this urad dal with its skin has more protein and dietary fibre than using as skinless. Its protein rich and iron rich and these type of lentil consumption becomes mandatory food for all vegetarians. The dals that is to be dry roasted should be done to perfection so that we get nice flavourful tasty podi. Amount of curry leaves is our own wish if we wish we can add more. We can use either black or white sesame seeds ,both are good.Dried red chillies can be added more if you like more spicy. A good mix of gingelly oil and idli podi is the most irresistible combination with hot idli’s. Check my simple idli podi that I have put already in my blog and also garlic idli podi.
homemade idli podi withwhole black uraddal(karuppu ulundhu)
Whole black urad dal/karuppu ulundu – 1 cup
Dried red chillies/kaindha milagai – 1/2 cup or as needed
Kadala paruppu/bengal gram dal – 1/4 cup
Crystal salt as needed
Some curry leaves
Asafoetida/hing – 3/4 tsp
Sesame seeds/ellu(white) – 2 tbsp
Garlic cloves/poondu – 4-5( with skin)
1.Take a kadai and dry roast each and every ingredient except salt till nicely aromatic.
2.Both dals should be fried until golden till nice aroma comes out.
3.Finally when all the ingredients are cooled they can be ground with salt fine or coarsely.
4.Serve with idli or dosa mixing with gingelly oil.
homemade idli podi with whole black urad dal/karuppu ulundhu milagai podi
- Whole black urad dal/karuppu ulundu - 1 cup
- Dried red chillies/kaindha milagai - 1/2 cup or as needed
- Kadala paruppu/bengal gram dal - 1/4 cup
- Crystal salt as needed
- Some curry leaves
- Asafoetida/hing - 3/4 tsp
- Sesame seeds/ellu white - 2 tbsp
- Garlic cloves/poondu - 4-5 with skin
- Take a kadai and dry roast each and every ingredient except salt till nicely aromatic.
- Both dals should be fried until golden till nice aroma comes out.
- Finally when all the ingredients are cooled they can be ground with salt fine or coarsely.
- Serve with idli or dosa mixing the pod with gingelly oil.
Black urad dal should be roasted till nicely aromatic.