onion and tomato chutney /easy chutney for idli and dosa
This onion and tomato chutney is more common and I do it whenever am not in a interesting mood and my mind says “hey, do this onion tomato chutney its more than enough”. Every kitchen queens(home makers) will of-course have this mind set often in their lives”do you agree?”. Making this chutney is very easy for anyone using basic ingredients like onion and tomatoes.People do it in their own way with different ratio’s.I use a mixture of ordinary Indian tomatoes and Bangalore or Roma tomatoes to be less tangy.But if you like it to be tangy use ordinary tomatoes alone.It pairs up best with idli,dosai and even uthappam.Usually I try out varies chutney’s which are different and unusual.The urad dhal should be golden brown before adding onions.You can either add green chillies or red chillies here I have added green chillies.Onions need not be browned for this recipe it can translucent color.You can do the tadka or leave it as it is . Actually there is no need for tadka or tempering in this recipe.Now lets see the procedure.
onion and tomato chutney/easy chutney for idli and dosa
- Onions - 2 big
- Tomatoes - 4-5
- Ginger piece - a small piece
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut - 1/4cup
- Curry leaves - few
- Green chillies - 2 or less
- Little oil
- Add little oil to kadai and add urad dhal and fry till golden color.
- Then add cut onions and fry till translucent.
- Now add other ingredients.(green chillies,ginger piece,curry leaves and tomatoes with some salt)
- Fry till raw smell goes off .
- Finally add grated coconut and switch off the stove.
- Let it cool.
- Then grind it and serve with idli or dosa.
Even red chillies can be added instead of green chillies.
The spice level varies according to individual preferences.