sambar with coconut/Amma sambar/Thakalisambar for idli and dosa
First of all I will tell the reason for the name “Amma sambar”and who gave this name really!In my earlier days of marriage I was puzzled why every body was calling this sambar as “Amma sambar” . One day I asked my mother-in-law about this and her answer was this “As your co-sister(my hubby’s anni)(my co-sister has been used to Malayalam cuisine in her mother’s home)was totally impressed by….
this simple sambar (sambar with coconut) that she had never had it in her maternal home,she would ask me(mother-in-law) to make one for her often and named it as “Amma sambar”. This is how the “Amma sambar” took off high in the sky.Even my mother likes this very much and asks my mother-in law to do this for her when she visit’s my home.There is always a special magical taste when it is done by my mother-in-law’s hands.This recipe(sambar with coconut) is so much in my list that it is as simple as grinding everything together and doing a tadka.It goes great with Idli and dosa.
sambar with coconut/Amma sambar
Tomatoes – 3-4 tomatoes
coconut scrapped – 1 cup(keep 1 tbsp separately to add at the end)
(Sombu)Fennel seeds – 2-3 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
cloves – 4-5
Garlic pod – 2(pieces)
Roasted gram -4 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds and urad combined -1 tsp
Small onions – 3 tbsp
Curry leaves – a few
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Curry masala powder – 2 tsp
Chilli powder – 3 tsp
coriander leaves – chopped
sambar with coconut/Amma sambar/Tomato sambar for idli and dosa
- Tomatoes - 3-4 tomatoes big
- coconut scrapped - 1 cup keep 1 tbsp separately
- SombuFennel seeds - 2-3 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1 small piece
- cloves - 4-5
- Garlic pod - 2-3 pieces
- Roasted gram -4 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds and urad combined -1 tsp
- Small onions - 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Curry masala powder - 2 tsp
- Chilli powder - 3 tsp
- coriander leaves - some chopped
- Grind the given ingredients to a paste.
- Now do tadka by heating oil add mustard seeds.
- After it splutters add onions and curry leaves.
- When it becomes translucent add the mixture.
- Now add chilli powder,turmeric powder curry powder and salt and let it boil.
- After it comes to sambar consistency add some grated coconut and switch off the stove.
- Add chopped coriander leaves at the end.
- serve hot with idli or sambar.
Seasoning amount is according to individual preferences.
Garam masala or any type of curry masala can be used.
Adding coriander leaves at last brings whole some flavor to the dish.